About Me

What should I say? I hope by reading my blog you come to learn who I am. I always want Christ first in my life. I want to consistently show the fruit of the spirit in my life. I want others to be blessed by what I go through and learn from it.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Don't follow Me

"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1

I used to think that Paul seemed a bit full of himself when he wrote this verse. As I read the Bible more and as I come to know more about Christ and the apostles, especially Paul, I've decided that this statement is ok for Paul to make. (I know, you were worried, right?) But it's not a statement I would ever make.

I get concerned when people come up to me to tell me what a good job I'm doing handling this situation...because I know I'm not doing much of all except letting God take over. But maybe that's good enough. How often do we let God take over? More than likely, we try to take control, we want to be in charge, and we want to take the credit. As often as someone comes up to tell me what a good job I'm doing, I tell them as quickly as I can that it's not me, it's all God, I don't want the credit.

As I was thinking about this, I started to wonder if that's really true is this blog a good thing to do, isn't it still me writing this blog for others to read? Am I doing it for me? Let me say this as plainly as I can...GIVE THE GLORY TO GOD. I appreciate what people say to me, and I'm happy to keep sharing as long as God gives me something to share, but the second I write this blog to get any fame or glory for myself is the second I want someone to call me on it, and maybe the time I stop.

Let me share a story with you..
The donkey awakened, his mind still savoring the afterglow of the most exciting day of his life. Never before had he felt such a rush of pleasure and pride.
He walked into town and found a group of people by the well. “I’ll show myself to them,” he thought.
But they didn’t notice him. They went on drawing their water and paid him no mind.
“Throw your cloaks down,” he said crossly. “Don’t you know who I am?”
They just looked at him in amazement. Someone slapped him across the tail and ordered him to move.
“Miserable heathens!” he muttered to himself. “I’ll just go to the market where the good people are. They will remember me.”
But the same thing happened. No one paid any attention to the donkey as he strutted down the main street in front of the market place.
“The palm branches! Where are the palm branches!” he shouted. “Yesterday, you threw palm branches!”
Hurt and confused, the donkey returned home to his mother.
“Foolish child,” she said gently. “Don’t you realize that without him, you are just an ordinary donkey?”

That's me, just an ordinary donkey without God I wouldn't be able to accomplish much more than getting myself in trouble. So, please don't think of me as anyone more special than anyone else.

While I do think it's ok for us to follow Paul's example as he follow Christ's, I don't want people following me; I'm a sinner, I struggle with anger, lust, sloth, gluttony, and sometimes I don't react like I should, I'm not always kind, I should be more patient, loving, and careful. So don't follow me or my sinful example.

Let's walk alongside and follow Christ's example.

No comments:

Post a Comment