About Me

What should I say? I hope by reading my blog you come to learn who I am. I always want Christ first in my life. I want to consistently show the fruit of the spirit in my life. I want others to be blessed by what I go through and learn from it.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Fix Your Focus

"You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." 1 John 4:4

Yesterday, I was reading a book that was given to me. In this book is a story about a Japanese soldier who, in 1945, didn't get the word that Japan had surrendered and World War 2 was over. When allied forced had arrived on the island where he was stationed he, along with a few other soldiers, took to the hills and cut contact with everyone. Over the next 29 years this soldier stayed in the hills of an island in the Philippines, the other soldiers either gave up or were killed when these soldiers fought with the people coming to tell them the war was over. When pamphlets or other types of information were dropped, he thought it was propaganda and didn't believe it. Finally, it took a college dropout and the soldier's former commanding officer to convince him the war was over.

I read this story and couldn't help but compare this soldier to Satan. Even though God is more powerful, and had already won, Satan still fights. The fight is over, it's not like the Earth is a great battlefield and we are waiting to find out who wins, Satan is defeated. I just love that. If you have any doubts, take a look at Philippians 2:5-11.

I must admit, I didn't sleep very well last night. Today is Friday, my surgery in Monday and today I find out the time for the surgery. I'm having a little trouble writing today, I think I'm mostly having trouble focusing. I need to take my focus off me and my troubles. Yes, I need to consider my life and I need to make sure to do what I can so everything turns out ok, but that shouldn't be my focus today or any other day.

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2) I'm going to fix my eyes on something else, I'm going to take my focus off me, and set it firmly on Christ.

My hymn for today...Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There's light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!

CHORUS
TURN YOUR EYES UPON JESUS,
LOOK FULL IN HIS WONDERFUL FACE,
AND THE THINGS OF EARTH
WILL GROW STRANGELY DIM
IN THE LIGHT OF HIS GLORY AND GRACE.

Thro' death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
Over us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu'rors we are!

His word shall not fail you He promised;
Believe Him, and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Let's all do that, today turn your eyes upon Jesus, take a day to take your focus off your problems, and look to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment