About Me

What should I say? I hope by reading my blog you come to learn who I am. I always want Christ first in my life. I want to consistently show the fruit of the spirit in my life. I want others to be blessed by what I go through and learn from it.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

American's Idols

"They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, 'These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.'" Exodus 32:8

I had a hard time trying to decode two things today...1- If I was going to write anything and 2- What I was going to write about. I ended up doing anything but writing. I watched TV, I watched stuff on my computer, the occupational therapist came, I watched some more TV, I took a nap, played around on the computer, turned the computer off, then I turned the computer on and decided to write about idols.

I find it amazing all the stuff we can find to put in the way of worshiping God, and yes, I do look at this blog as a form of worship. I would say it's worship because it's designed to glorify God.

As we can see from my verse at the start of this entry, the Israelites were pretty quick to put up an idol and so are we. At least I'll claim to. Think of all the stuff we put as an idol that gets in our way; work, kids, TV, music, our home, other people, specific causes, sin, money...feel free to add something else to this list. One thing to take note of is that a lot of those things are good things, it's fine to work to support ourselves and our family, our kids are wonderful gifts (not that I have any, but I hope to someday) but if we let those things take our focus off God, they become an idol.

I don't want to come off preachy, I've put up my own idols, but let's work together to kick idols out of our way, and focus on the most important thing, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment