About Me

What should I say? I hope by reading my blog you come to learn who I am. I always want Christ first in my life. I want to consistently show the fruit of the spirit in my life. I want others to be blessed by what I go through and learn from it.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fixable People

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

I'm a broken person. You might think I'm talking about my feet and ankle issues, but I can tell you it goes much deeper than that. We are broken people. There isn't a person alive who is a whole person, and I can only think of one person in history who was a whole person. We are broken because we are a sinful people, that sin separates us from God. The wonderful news is that we aren't broken forever, we're not beyond fixing. We need to look to God and His redemptive work on the cross for our repair. We need to do that daily, hourly, every minute. That's why we have hymns like the one I shared a couple days ago "I Need Thee Every Hour." It's not written, "I needed you once, but that was it..." Yes, we only needed to ask for Christ to come into our hearts once, but we constantly need to be looking to Christ for the strength and guidance to make it through the day.

The key is to realize that we are broken, because then we can realize that we can be fixed. Let me say that again, WE CAN BE FIXED. Paul makes it pretty clear that once we've truly accepted Christ into our heart we are citizens of Heaven. (see Philippians 3:16 and 3:20) It's not something we're waiting for. I am eagerly waiting for the time when I am in Heaven and get to just constantly praise God without the cares of this world, but I have to wait a little while longer. That doesn't mean I can't continually praise Him while I'm here too.

I'm reminded of the bumper sticker that reads, "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven." I usually am not a bumper sticker person, at least for my car, but there is some truth to that sticker, we are forgiven. Asking for forgiveness is the first step in fixing a broken life.

It's also the first step in fixing a broken relationship. Part of the problem with being a broken people, is we're also pretty good at breaking relationships. But those again, are often something that can be restored. If you're the person who broke something, take the first step toward fixing it, ask forgiveness. I wish I had been better at this, it's never something that's easy, and I used to just not do it. I'd let my pride get in the way and just force people to accept me for what I've done or go away. That's a poor excuse for not acting in a Christlike manner, because most often, they just went away.

My hymn for today is Abide With Me...

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;
Earth’s joys grow dim; its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

Not a brief glance I beg, a passing word;
But as Thou dwell’st with Thy disciples, Lord,
Familiar, condescending, patient, free.
Come not to sojourn, but abide with me.

Come not in terrors, as the King of kings,
But kind and good, with healing in Thy wings,
Tears for all woes, a heart for every plea—
Come, Friend of sinners, and thus bide with me.

Thou on my head in early youth didst smile;
And, though rebellious and perverse meanwhile,
Thou hast not left me, oft as I left Thee,
On to the close, O Lord, abide with me.

I need Thy presence every passing hour.
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s power?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment