About Me

What should I say? I hope by reading my blog you come to learn who I am. I always want Christ first in my life. I want to consistently show the fruit of the spirit in my life. I want others to be blessed by what I go through and learn from it.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Positive vs. Negative

"I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.

I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.

Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.

They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:19-23

I admit, yesterday I kinda had to force my blog entry. I still think it's true, I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't, but you can see I didn't put a lot of effort into it. Today's entry is out of what I read in my quiet time this morning.

Read, the passage from Lamentations, how true it is.

I have days where what I read in my devotional book, and what I read in my daily scripture readings don't always line up. not to say that they contradict each other, but they will be on different subjects. But then I have days like today where they do align, and then I make sure to pay extra attention, because I think it's a lesson God really wants me to learn.

Today everything lined up to tell me how important my mindset is. I feel as though I've kept a pretty positive mindset through all of the issues with losing my foot. People have commented on it, and I believe it's shown out in my recovery process. My leg is healing very well, the doctor who removed my stitches said so, I was out of inpatient rehab in less than two weeks, the therapists who have come to the house have been impressed in how I'm coming along and managing my daily tasks. I believe this is all because my mind is laser focused on getting better and getting back on my feet so I can get back to ministry.

Sure, I've had my rough spots, the other day I tried to put down my right foot to steady myself, twice. but I choose to not focus on the bad days, and I choose to set my mind on getting back to normal.

I'm not one of those "Power of Positive Thinking" people, I'm not going to tell you that if you just focus all your positive energy on something it'll all work out. But I will tell you that I believe you can be happier if you set your mind on positive things. Could I let everything bad that happens be an obstacle? Yup, but it won't help anything. Could I sit here and moan about missing my right foot? Yup, but it won't bring it back. Could I cry and complain that everything is too hard for me? Absolutely, but it won't get me back to ministry.

So I choose to be positive, I choose to overcome the obstacles so the obstacles don't overcome me. And I choose to get back on my feet, even if one of them will be made of titanium.

Today's hymn I believe to be a hymn of hope, it's titled "God Will Lift Up Your Head" and I found it on Jars of Clay's Redemption Songs cd.

Give to the wind your fear
Hope and be undismayed
God hears your sighs and counts your tears
God will lift up, God will lift up, lift up your head

God will lift up your head
God will lift up your head
God will lift up your head
Lift up your head

Leave to His sovereign sway
To choose and to command
Then shall we wandering on His way
Know how wise and how strong
How wise and how strong

God will lift up your head
God will lift up your head
God will lift up your head
Lift up your head

Through waves and clouds and storms, He gently clears the way
Wait because in His time, so shall this night
Soon end in joy, soon end in joy
Soon end in joy, soon end in joy

God will lift up your head
God will lift up your head
God will lift up your head

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nate, I've been doing a 30 day blog challenge...and today, day 15 was to blog about my favorite bible verse. Which happens to be Philippians 4:8. Your posts seem to be an excellent example of this verse. The fact that you consistently write about the positive aspects about what to the world would be very negative circumstances, shows that you aren't dwelling on the negative...but in fact thinking about the good things and giving glory to God through it all! Blessings ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete