About Me

What should I say? I hope by reading my blog you come to learn who I am. I always want Christ first in my life. I want to consistently show the fruit of the spirit in my life. I want others to be blessed by what I go through and learn from it.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Give Credit Where Credit's Due

"Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us." Titus 2:6-8

My stepfather and I have a little joke, when one of us visits a church for the first time, the other one will ask if the sermon is a "Do good, do good, do good" sermon. You see, each of us have been to too many churches where the pastor will get up and preach about how we should be good, sometimes it'll be because it'll cause others to be good to us, sometimes it'll be because then God will see that we've done good and reward us, and sometimes it'll be because someone has been listening to too many Christmas songs and tell us we should be good for goodness sake.

Only once have I heard a "Do good, do good, do good" sermon preached where I also felt a good reason was given, this summer, my pastor preached a sermon where he said we should do good because it glorifies God. That's a "Do good, do good, do good" sermon I can get behind. We shouldn't be doing good because we get something out of it, we should be doing good because someone else gets something out of it.

The verse I quoted today confirms the idea of doing good to glorify God. If someone can't accuse us of doing wrong, God should get the credit. If we react well to a situation, if you consistently handle yourself with grace and patience, God should be glorified. Don't take the credit for it, don't just brush it off because you're embarrassed or because you think a "good Christian" should be embarrassed about it, give the credit to God!

A while ago, I made the commitment that God was going to be glorified in whatever happened with my foot, and I am sticking with it. A few people have commented on how well I am handling this situation, and before, I would have brushed it aside, thanked them or even said something like "Well, I do what I can" and made a joke about it. If I'm going to glorify God, I have to give Him the credit for every good thing that's coming out of this. Remember James 1:17.

This kind of attitude needs to come out of humility; we can't think to well of ourselves if we're going to give credit to God, it can be a tough thing to take the credit off us. Society will tell you to take all the credit you can, be an individual, be strong, be self-sufficient! Let's buck that trend, let's be God-sufficient, be strong enough to tell someone that you can't do it on your own and you needed God's help, and strive to be one with Christ.

I love today's hymn..."When I Survey the Wondrous Cross"



1. When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.
2. Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.
3. See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?
4. Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment