About Me

What should I say? I hope by reading my blog you come to learn who I am. I always want Christ first in my life. I want to consistently show the fruit of the spirit in my life. I want others to be blessed by what I go through and learn from it.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

How Do You See God?

"I lift up my eyes to you,
   to you who sit enthroned in heaven.
 As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master,
   as the eyes of a female slave look to the hand of her mistress,
so our eyes look to the LORD our God,
   till he shows us his mercy.
  Have mercy on us, LORD, have mercy on us,
   for we have endured no end of contempt.
 We have endured no end
   of ridicule from the arrogant,
   of contempt from the proud."   Psalm 123

How do you look at God, what do you see Him as? I'm reading a book on prayer, and in the chapter I just finished, it talks about different ways to see God. That got me thinking about how different people see God. Let me start this out by saying that whatever I come up with, it will be imperfect and nowhere near a truly accurate description of God, I don't think words can give an accurate description of God. To truly know God and who He is, I think we need to wait till we see Him in Heaven.

But until then, we have to use words...So, how do you see God? For those people who had bad parents, you might shy away from using a father as an example of God, for those who have issues with authority you might not want to use the term King, and for those of you who struggle to keep your life consistent, you might not want to think of God as a rock. But the Bible uses all those images, and several more to describe God. Just do a quick Google search and you see that there are many names for God, and I have a book that lists (and gives scripture for) 64 different names for God the Father, 124 different names for God the Son, and 52 different names for God the Holy Spirit, for those of you keeping track, that's 213 different ways the bible describes God.

So, do you view God as that annoying boss who's always telling you how to go something? Do you view God as an authoritarian parent who never lets you do anything? Do you view God as that nosy friend who always has to know your business? The nerd you hang out with who never lets you have any fun? God is none of those, He loves you, he only wants what's best for you and He paid the ultimate price for your sake, His Son. I can't imagine anyone that those views describe doing that for me.

I'm going to share a hymn that's rather rare, but if you do a search for it you can find it, it's called "He Paid a Debt He Did Not Owe"

He paid a debt He did not owe;
I owed a debt I could not pay;
I needed someone to wash my sins away.
And, now, I sing a brand new song,
“Amazing Grace.”
Christ Jesus paid a debt that I could never pay.

He paid that debt at Calvary.
He cleansed my soul and set me free.
I'm glad that Jesus did all my sins erase.
I, now, can sing a brand new song,
“Amazing Grace.”
Christ Jesus paid a debt that I could never pay.

One day He's coming back for me
To live with Him eternally.
Won't it be glory to see Him on that day!
I, then, will sing a brand new song,
“Amazing Grace.”
Christ Jesus paid a debt that I could never pay.
Yes, Jesus paid a debt that I could n
ever pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment