About Me

What should I say? I hope by reading my blog you come to learn who I am. I always want Christ first in my life. I want to consistently show the fruit of the spirit in my life. I want others to be blessed by what I go through and learn from it.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Scriptural Sword

"And Jesus answered him,  "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone.'"" Luke 4:4

"And Jesus answered him,  "It is written, "'You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.'"" Luke 4:8


"for it is written, "'He will command his angels concerning you, to guard you,'and "'On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.'"" Luke 4:10,11

"And Jesus answered him, "It is said, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"" Luke 4:12


I wish I knew Scripture better.


There are many reasons I wish I knew Scripture better, but the biggest reason is to be able to refute Satan when I am tempted. If you look at the passages I have at the beginning of this entry I have four times when someone quotes Scripture; three times it's Jesus. I can appreciate that Jesus probably is able to memorize better than I am, after all, he's God. And if I had so much written about me, I think it would be easy to memorize it since it's about me and my life.


The third out of four times that scripture is quoted though, it's Satan doing the quoting. That's why I think it's even more important that we know scripture as well as we possibly can; if Satan is going to quote it to us (and he will misuse it) we need to know it so we know when Satan is misusing Scripture. That's kind of a convoluted way of saying "If we know it, it can't be used against us."


Satan is a master manipulator, he knows us better than we know ourselves, he knows what tempts us, and when to throw that temptation in front of us. And it wouldn't surprise me if he gets even greater pleasure when he can use Scripture to tempt us to sin.


The best way for us to know Scripture is to study it. The best way for us to refute Satan is to build a wall of knowledge so he can't break through it. And, according to Ephesians 6:17 it's the one offensive part of the Armor of God. 


So, pick up your sword!

No comments:

Post a Comment