About Me

What should I say? I hope by reading my blog you come to learn who I am. I always want Christ first in my life. I want to consistently show the fruit of the spirit in my life. I want others to be blessed by what I go through and learn from it.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Infamy or Esteem?

"When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, “Surely the LORD is in this place, and I was not aware of it.”  He was afraid and said, “How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God; this is the gate of heaven.”
 Early the next morning Jacob took the stone he had placed under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on top of it. He called that place Bethel, though the city used to be called Luz." Genesis 28:16-19

As I was doing my devotions this morning, I have to admit, my mind wandered a bit. But it wandered as I looked at the date and realized that today is Pearl Harbor Day, a remembrance of December 7, 1941, "A day that will live in infamy." I got to thinking about how, for some people, today is a day of great remembrance, for some a day of sadness, and for some a day of routine.

I also got thinking of how the Old Testament tells us time and again of  how altars were set up as a remembrance, sometimes I think that the landscape over there must have been littered with rocks that were set up as altars.

I think we need to set up remembrances, but they should be to remind us not only of when something bad has happened, but when something good has happened. You see far too many memorials of bad things, the Viet Nam Memorial Wall, the memorial at Ground Zero in New York and the memorial at Pearl Harbor.

Let's decide instead, to set up memorials of esteem. Memorials to remind us of the good things, when we accepted Christ into our life, when we shared Christ with someone else or maybe when we were given the opportunity to witness Christ in the life of a loved one. Let's start making days that will live forever in esteem, not infamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment