About Me

What should I say? I hope by reading my blog you come to learn who I am. I always want Christ first in my life. I want to consistently show the fruit of the spirit in my life. I want others to be blessed by what I go through and learn from it.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Not My Fight

"I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one." I John 14b

A couple of weeks ago I was able to go back out with Coastlands for the week at a school in Massachusetts, it was a great week, and I was greatly blessed to be there. On Friday, I shared with the students a story out of the book of 2 Chronicles 20; a story of a time when three different groups of people were coming to attack the kingdom of Judah. When Jehoshaphat gathered everyone together to pray the answer came back to him through Jahaziel son of Zechariah, that the fight was not theirs to fight, here's what he said..."You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you." (2 Chronicles 20:17) So instead of preparing to fight, they went out to sing! As they went out the next day, Jehoshaphat set men to sing "Give thanks to the Lord for His love endures forever."

I love this story, it's a continual reminder for me that this fight we face is not mine, and it's not yours, but it's God's and He is way better at fighting it that you or I will ever be. I think too often we get to thinking that this fight is ours, that we need to do the work, that if only we were better God would love us more. That couldn't me further from the truth, God is not looking for perfect people, God is looking for people who are broken, who realize that they need God and only He can make them whole. I fail, I'll be the first to admit it, I'm not perfect, God still loves me.

I wanted to write a bit of a happier entry today, the last couple of days have been pretty heavy. I can't think of a better entry than to talk about the gospel, which literally means good news, and the good news is this..."For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures," (1 Corinthians 15:3,4) Christ died for our sins(!) and then rose again three days later to show His power over death! I can't think of better news than that. Christ wants you to give your heart to Him. Do it, do it today, if you've already done it, seek out people who haven't and tell them about the good news you've already heard.

I want to end this entry with the lyrics for another hymn I was listening to, while I was writing this, it's called "I Need Thee Every Hour" and the version I was listening to is by Jars of Clay.

I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford

I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby
Temptations lose their power
When Thou art nigh

I need thee, oh, I need thee, every hour I need Thee
I need thee, I need thee, I need Thee every hour

I need Thee every hour in joy or pain
Come quickly and abide or life is in vain
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee, every hour I need Thee
I need Thee, I need Thee, I need Thee every hour
I need Thee, I need Thee, I need Thee every hour

Oh, bless me now, my Savior, I come to Thee
Oh, bless me now, my Savior, I come to Thee
I need Thee every hour, teach me Thy will
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill

I need Thee, oh, I need Thee
Oh I need Thee every hour
I need Thee, I need Thee, I need Thee every hour
I need Thee, I need Thee, I need Thee every hour

Oh, bless me now, my Savior, I come to Thee

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment